how to cut continuous bias binding

Gostou? Compartilhe:

Hey, Ashley, this is fabulous. this is so way cool!! THANK YOUR CLEVER BRAIN!!!!!!!!! This looks very clear now. Or at all? I think the 2nd seam is missing from this explanation! You must be extremely careful when handling the bias. You could cut a lot of long strips of your chosen fabric on the bias. I left other sites because I could not understand the explanations. Now practice it a few more times……and then you’ll use this technique every single time! Using a ruler and your fabric marker of choice (I use a regular pencil most of the time), draw a line diagonally across the square from corner to corner. Anna S. favorited Continuous Loop Bias Binding 06 Nov 07:16; Crafterella featured Continuous Loop Bias Binding 31 Oct 23:00; Alissa B. favorited Continuous … Aaha… What a great idea, I always scrued up here making bias tape, I had wasted lot of fabric and most of the times I sew strips wrong… Lot of confusion. I managed to follow the directions just fine but must have turned the piece inside out at one stage… Ended up with seams not facing the same way after I cut it! Thanks for this tutorial – I always found making bias binding a chore but this was super simple and fast! Cutting fabric across the grain makes it more flexible and stretchy. It's also the best method when using funny shaped off-cuts of fabric for making your binding and if you have a rotary cutter, you can cut out loads of strips super fast, so if it's the cutting out bit that grinds you down this might be the method for you. So awesome! Draw a diagonal line across your square (front or back of fabric…doesn’t matter), just like below, from one corner to the opposite corner, using your ruler. I have been a sewer FOREVER and have used bias tape many times….cutting it the old fashioned way. Its my go-to for all things sewing! These will be your guides for matching up the fabric later on. Insecurities aside, I did as you said and it is perfect! I love making tape with this technique, and yes, your instructions are the clearest, so thank you! Pay attention here: the new shape MUST be a parallelogram (the bias edges must be parallel). -Ashley. I’m ready to go make some bias tape to use on my daughter’s summer wardrobe! This is so cool and very timely for me! I’m making a tote bag for a Christmas gift for my daughter and when the directions said to make your own bias tape, I panicked! The 1/4 inch thing messed me up the first time I tried (following a different tutorial). I think that’s what messes most people up…..that 1/4 inch thing. Thanks so much! Wish me luck! Ashley! Yeah, well, I go make some bias tape right now…. What you want to do is pull the upper triangle tip on the left and pull it slightly over to the left….and then pull the lower triangle tip over on the right, and pull it slightly over to the right. Thank you so much far the clear instructions and the well laid out pictures that made this so much easier to understand. But this can be time consuming and take up a lot of fabric. (See … Just be sure that the layers of fabric are arranged so that both tips are hanging over the same amount. :). If you want to learn more about the differences in bindings with some great visuals, check out this website here. Now I understand. If you need something wider or more narrow, you’ll need to recalculate. It’s pretty cool! Great tutorial!!!! but once this all ‘clicked’ i can see how really easy this is!!! It is generally used around edges of blankets, hot pads, neck lines, and so many more projects. This is saving me a good bit of money on several projects and making them so much nicer with matching binding.? I did struggle with matching the lines because my fabric was very light. I spent 30+ years in technical writing/editing and your tutorial is is one of the finest combinations of elegant explanation and easily understood graphics I’ve seen, professional or otherwise. Thank you so much for the amazing high quality of what you’ve done. this is great!!! (In fact, if you type “Bias Tape” into my search bar up in the upper right hand corner, a bunch of project will pop up that I have created using Bias Tape.). Step 6. Thank you, Ashley! :). I am making masks to give to local Covid19 Drs. I shall find a square of suitable fabric and give it a whirl. This worked perfectly and it has totally rocked my world! I’ve seen this explained several times, but this is by far the best tutorial! Awesome tutorial. Open up the fabric and iron the seam open along the back. Bias binding is binding that is cut at a 45 degree angle from the selvedge. […] method of making continuous bias binding. Marvelous! The square needs to be cut in half once on the diagonal. I am a visual learner and with your tips of drawing the x’s and o’s plus the 1/4 inch edge expanation makes this sooooo doable for anyone. Draw parallel lines along the bias that are spaced apart the desired width of the continuous bias binding. Well, you actually don’t want them to. Once you have the first pin in place, the rest of the lines should be easy to pin. I don’t do sewing projects often because I am not good at it and get discouraged. Now, be sure that you are making lines that are PARALLEL to the longer edges of your parallelogram…..and use your ruler to draw lines that are 2 inches apart. However, sometimes it take some time (and lots of wasted fabric) to make diagonal cuts into your fabric. Thanks so much from The Brod Abode in Texas. Oh my! Thanks, Toni. I’m SO glad you found it! AMAZING !!!! I am so thankful for your pefect explanation – now I know I won’t have to ask Hubby the next time I want to cut bias! Thank you! I have looked at diagrams of this method SEVERAL times and have always been to directionally challenged to figure it out! Place your fabric down in front of you with the RIGHT side of the fabric FACING UP. You explained every thought process that goes into doing this perfectly. I can not wait to try it out. Haha oh no!!! Curving vines in appliqué quilt patterns wouldn’t exist without them. The Quilting Company has a nice size-of-square to bias-binding length conversion […], […] cut your bias strips by following the tutorial at makeit-loveit.com. The dimensions that you cut your fabric to will impact how much bias binding you can make. Finally I understand the mysteries of the mobius bias tape method! Now I’ll have to make another quilt to use the extra 140″. Just lately I have tried from another tute I had found but just couldn’t get it right. Ashley, this is so cool! I now am ready to start making my own bias tapes! This means that it has been diagonally cut across the grain of the fabric. Now, sew right along the pinned edges, 1/4 inch from the edge. Bias-cut fabric strips are super useful in quilt making. Thank you, Ohhh Ashley what a relexad feeling i have after your this very practical approach tutorial … Its such a gift like thing… Thank you so much for sharing Kindest regard Farah…. Ashley your brilliant, I’ve always wondered how to do this, you put so much work in to it thank you, beautiful clear pictures and detailed script, I’m loving it. When I made Dorothy’s costume from the wizard of Oz the instructions for this technique were in the pattern but nothing as clear or precise as your instructions and photos! All Rights Reserved. Thanks for sharing your expertise with us! Thanks for sharing! Because bias binding is cut at a 45° angle there are more threads at the edge which means more have to break before it starts fraying. So, consider making a slightly bigger square if you’re worried about not having enough. Since there is no formula to predict amount, I used a 30″-square and the tape is 2 12″ wide. The bias grain runs on a 45º angle to the selvages. Now I try this, have some calculation to do carefully, but I guess later we can do easily. Awwwwww, thanks so much! Ashley – I have never heard of this technique! The threads that run the length of the fabric are on the lengthwise grain and the threads that run diagonally are on the crosswise grain. Now I don’t have to! and a huge bonus to no t have to use so much fabric! You did the single best tutorial I’ve ever seen on this method. Then measure this piece; you need to subtract ½’’ for seam allowances from both length and width of the piece. When I started reading your tutorial, I thought I can do this! I always appreciate your thorough explanations, Ashley. So glad this was helpful! Bias tape is often made by cutting strip after strip of fabric on a 45 degree angle. Now, the cool thing is that the line will now continue around, and around, and around……..and will result with one continuous long strip of fabric. This made it so much easier. Trim away the excess fabric, leaving about a 1/4" seam allowance to the right of the seam line. Now, in order to have one continuous line once you turn the fabric right side out, you must be sure that the two lines are intersecting (where the red arrow is pointing down below) right at 1/4 inch down from the top edge. Good tutorial however – thanks. With right sides together, match lines with pins at the 1/4″ seamline and stitch seam; press open. That’s okay…..just trim it off. This is an excellent tutorial. Great idea if you don’t mind shorter length pieces with seams, some with 2 intersecting seams. Thank you so much for a very clear illustration and instruction. Now, you are trying to keep the drawn pen line from the front layer of fabric together with the pen line on the back layer of fabric …..but don’t try and line them up exactly. Very clear tutorial on bias making. We have a new grand daughter I’m getting to sew for and I will be using tons of bias tape! i was a little worried seeing how long this post was, i was afraid i’d be totally confused. I had looked at another site first and felt so confused. Each fabric strip has been cut on the bias. Then come back here to Step […], […] least 36″ of double bias tape, either commercial or homemade bias tape from a co-coordinating fabric. I guess you CAN teach an old dog a new trick!!!! That looks amazing! And just to make it a little more clear, an 8 inch square will produce about 29 inches of 2-inch wide Bias Tape…..with only 2 seams. I have never seen this technique before. I think because otherwise it wouldn't be 45 degrees. Join more strips until you … ;), And thanks Cameron, that means a lot! Cut your fabric square (whatever size you’re needing) making sure that it’s an actual square, with 90 degree corners. Just be sure that the final line intersects with the edge of the fabric, 1/4 inch down from the top edge…..just the same way as the others. Continue until you have lines all the way across your fabric. So easy! :-) Drawing a line at 1/4″ from the edge just make it even better. Cut a square from your binding fabric on the straight grain. Your directions are perfect. In combination with these “Printable Bias Tape Makers”, 1/2″ wide single fold bias tape https://scientificseamstress.blogspot.fi/2011/10/printable-bias-tape-maker.html, 1″ wide single-fold bias tape maker https://scientificseamstress.blogspot.fi/2011/11/double-or-nothing.html. Thanks for sharing. However there is a better way! I have made bias tape before using other tutorials, but I always dread it. I have never really figured out bias tape – and even when I tried, it was so annoying to piece everything together. You must Register or Super cool! Just did this and it was so easy!!! Then trim the extra fabric. With right sides together, align two short triangle edges. First, decide how long of a 2 inch wide bias cut strip you need. I love making tape with this technique and yes your instructions are by far the clearest, so thank you! I used a 12″ square and I have 7 seams. When you reach an end, the very last line will intersect with the edge of the fabric. SECOND WAY: is to cut a continuous bias strip from your square which has already been seamed. I did this today, but I instantly regretted it! It has the most stretch, so it distorts easily. I love your blog! So thank you for this cool trick! Now, if I could just get someone to explain the “traditional Chinese pants” made of two squares of fabric at OfDreamsAndSeams…, Ingenious! Now, with RIGHT sides together, match up the two edges that have the X on them. Or if you already have a square, run a long ruler from one corner to the other, mark with chalk or a fabric pen and cut along that line. ???????✌. Wow! Ashley, I have never seen this before. Projects ranging from quilts to aprons and hats to bags and much more. If you're binding curved edges, you'll want to cut your binding strips on the bias. You can buy Bias Tape…..but if you want something in a color other than the standard colors they manufacture, you can easily make it. I need more than the 190″ you said we could get from a 14 1/2″-square making the tape 2″ wide. They should end slightly apart, like shown below. Then do the same offsetting trick as above, so that the lines you drew on the fabric form a “spring” in 3D space. Best tutorial I have found so far! It really helped me to get the diagonal lines intersecting correctly and then I just stitched over it. True Bias Calvin Wrap Dress and Top – MODICUM, Cara Dune cosplay tutorial: Cara Dune Belt – Test Mega Coven Art Test, TEST – Cara Dune cosplay tutorial: Cara Dune Belt – Mega Coven Art, Miss Wigglyhead Gets a New Bathrobe and Spends the Day at the Spa. Whoopsies… won’t make that mistake again! But let me show you the coolest trick……by cutting it from one single square of fabric, all connected as one continuous strip of Bias Tape. Ever. Thank you very much. Thank you for the tutorial! Turn right side facing up…..and you can see you have a nice parallelogram. This is probably one of the greatest tips I’ve found. Does that sound correct? Once you have it all cut in a continuous loop, use a bias tape maker to complete the process. A standard package of Bias Tape usually has 3 yards of length, which is 108 inches…….so a 14 inch square produces almost the same amount. I shall share this in the UK with fellow stitchers! Just fixed that, thank you! This is suddenly completely clear to me so I’m off to try it now as I have 480 inches of bias tape to make for piping round my dining chair seat cushions . Your photos were spot on and greatly appreciated for this visual learner! For example, if you want to make 4 inch wide cut strips (that will create 1 inch wide Double Fold Bias tape)….you’ll need to cut a square that’s in multiples of 4’s, plus a 1/2 inch added on for a seam allowance. Cookie Statement | Terms & Conditions | Subscription Alert – Unauthorized Agents. That made it really easy to see that the lines were matching. I have made bias tape in the past, but needed a formula for tape wider that 2 inches. And your explanations and pictures are very clear. Use your rotary cutter or a pair of fabric shear to cut your fabric piece to the desired dimensions for making your binding strips. Or if your anything like me, you will be digging through stash! You’ve made THE CLEAREST explanation among over 10 others that I’ve read about this technique! You somehow walked me through this tutorial in a way that allowed me to do this the first time! ***These instructions are for making 2 inch wide bias cut strips, which will result in 1/2 inch Double Fold Bias Tape. :) Ashley. I even made a few and they always turned out wonky. My comment reflects what your other readers are all saying… I’ve read through numerous tutorials on how to do this, and was always left feeling befuddled. In both cases you will start with a square of fabric large enough to produce the amount of bias strips you will need when adding a binding. Cool, right? I just did this yesterday with 1/2 yard to make 3″ strips for my entire baby quilt! Have you used it much? This is amazing. The continuous loop method allows you to get 100" of binding from a 10x10" square. :). Before I started matching up the lines, I ruled a line 1/4″ from edges I was matching, ie where the seam would be. You may also want to show how you can do this with yardage! … I found it in your comment box on Fabric_store.com :). Then, fold the two longer tips back into towards the center, creating a square shape. Click hereto download a chart of the amount of continuous binding you can cut from various size squares. 344! 12" x 12" square = 60" of binding. I have seen similar ones and never felt I quite got the concept on how to do it. Haha! Your tute is excellent, thank you! I will definitely use this. Here's how to turn one square of fabric into a long length of bias binding easily! This is awesome. 13" x 13" square = 72" of binding. You can also use what is known in quilting terms as a “fat quarter” to make your bias binding strips. I am going to give this a try for making my own piping! The fact that you marked the x and o side. Trim away any fabric “left over” after you’ve drawn all your lines so that the last row is … You’ll laugh at my measurements, though. Thank you for the comprehensive tutorial! I have even made it for a quilt binding, but — mine was not nice and straight, I ended up wasting some fabric AND matching those points to make the “X” 1/4″ down really does seem to be the key. And since bias tape stretches, that number may vary as you’re measuring anyway. Thank you, again, so much. I hate sewing all those strips together. – hip roof barn, 5 Creative Uses for Bias Tape - The Cajun Girl, You’ll need a 14 1/2 inch square —– to make approximately, You’ll need a 20 1/2 inch square —– to make approximately. You’ll need a 14 1/2 inch square —– to make approximately 94 inches of a 2 inch wide bias strip. Ah ha…. The grey dotted line is just showing where the draw line is on back fabric layer. Looking forward to making strips out of my fabric scraps. I am so going to try this. Cutting on the bias grain will distort your cuts, although it is perfect for making bias tape and selected bindings (like scalloped edges), it is best to avoid cutting on the bias as much as possible. I LOVE this! Thank you for this post! Think of the money I’ll save! I was sooo sure I was doing it wrong but…. For a general overview of how to attach binding, see the tutorial on Quilt Binding Basics. By looking at the chart above, determine the width you want your binding strips to be when binding a quilt. No one had mentioned the lines crossing 1/4 inch from the edge. Calculate the length of binding you can cut from a specific fabric size There is a two step formula for this, here is what you have to do: Make sure your piece is a perfect rectangle (remove selvages, straighten edges…). This way, you are not left guessing. Good luck….you’ll love making this. Thank you so much! With scissors, cut along continuously drawn line. Before we get started……there are a lot of pictures below, to help illustrate how this works. :). Oh, you’re right!! And will be so glad you aren’t wasting fabric trying to cut full strips of bias cut tape!! And because it’s cut on the bias, it’s a bit stretchier and more flexible. I can’t believe that only a 14″ square will make almost the same amount I’ve been buying in the store. Then mark an X at the very top of the fabric and the very bottom of the fabric……and then an O on the right side of the fabric and the left side. Unless you’ve done it you don’t know what it takes. I can't use that for cording! When making bias strips for your quilt, you can either create one long strip or cut individual strips and then sew them together to get the length you need. Thanks again. Thank you for posting such great ideas and easy to follow instructions! Perfect! Thank you so much. And then do your best to iron this seam open….trying to not add any extra extra creases to your fabric. You’ll need a 8 1/2 inch square—– to make approximately 29 inches of a 2 inch wide bias strip. (Need help cutting your fabric perfectly straight??). I used your idea for making bias but needed it on a much larger scale. Also, it’ll save you some money (less fabric waste) and make your sewing life a lot easier. Bravo, and thank you. You will be logged in automatically and a confirmation email with a password will be sent to your email address. I […]. Now, if you drew your lines on the WRONG side of your fabric…..you’ll start cutting from the WRONG side of the fabric, but since I drew my lines on the RIGHT side of the fabric, I turned my tube of fabric right side out…..and then started cutting along my drawn line. If you place it down in front of you, you’ll see that your drawn lines are now making one continuous line. I totally hate wrecking fabric to make bias tape. Ooooh, today I have a sewing tip for you……and it’s pretty darn cool! ***Check out my Sewing Terms 101 post, for additional help with terminology, etc. Sorry, someone above just pointed that out…..it’s all fixed! Yep, just a simple seam and then iron it open like the picture. Thank you for this post!!! Your Excel spreadsheets are a tremendous help! Since the square is so large, I find it easier to fold the square in half on the diagonal, making sure the corners are well lined up. Step 3: Cut in Half Diagonally. To end up with a continuous binding strip, follow these steps: Cut […] Then you have to piece all those strips together. Some of the things I knew intuitively from being a long time sewer. I have bookmarked you! Best tutorial I have seen for doing this, and I’ve seen more than I like to remember. This is so great. You can head to the store with confidence and purchase that fabric! After all, too much is so much better than not enough, right? Super cool. Steps. This technique works with just about any size square, although I wouldn't try it with a square smaller than 10'' - there would be too many seams and not very much trim. Thanks a lot, Ashley, Thank you I have tried and other tutorials have been confusing…you explained in clearly and instructions are so easy and clear…Thank you…. And once you do that, the spot where the lines end on the very edge of the fabric, won’t line up with each other. Make a 45 degree cut anywhere through the long side and stitch it back together to form a parallelogram, like usual. To test your fabric placement, place a pin 1/4 inch down from the edge and take a peek from the other side of the fabric. I am bookmarking this for EVER! I mean, how much material is actually needed to create that continuous bias strip used to finish your project. This is a very clever idea! I’ve been sewing since Noah’s Ark (actually, I’m the one who made all their quilts, and I gotta tell ya that making the body warmer for those giraffes was tough) and yours is the best tutorial. Thanks so much for sharing! I love it too!!! See that? Also a deep and earnest thank you for your time, energy and thought that has had to go into this tutorial. Thank you!. The instructions are very clear and pictures are perfect. Thank you so much. :) The multiplying by 0.9 at the end is basically to account for seam allowances and the triangle shape at the end of the tape that can’t be used. Thank you Ashley! Wow! Bias Tape is strips of fabric cut on the bias (diagonally cut across the grain of the fabric). When you posted about making binding for your kids quilts AGES ago on the straight I wanted to show you this simple technique! Could you tell me why it has to be a square, not a rectangle? Thank you so much for sharing. I’ve made continuous bias tape a handful of times before and always need to read instructions. So glad you were taking care of those long necks! Cut the square in half diagonally to form two triangles. I need one 30″ piece of bias tape and since it is to finish a neck I don’t wish to have seams (added bulk creating bumps) … Couldn’t do it with this technique. Bring the short diagonal edges together, forming a tube (Diagram III). A square of fabric is cut in preparation to make bias binding. Now I understand about the 1/4 seaming. Ups sorry did that twice by mistake , meant to comment I totally agree with what you wrote Athena. Not only is it easier, but WAY more durable on a quilt! Let’s talk for a second about Bias Tape. I’ve been confused about which side to mark after cutting the diagonal, and then matched the drawn lines at the 1/4 inch mark. So annoying. Now, I’m not just talking about determining the total amount of bias needed to bind your quilt. Wow! I want to go try this right now! It will go a looooong way, thank you! © Copyright 2021 Golden Peak Media. I did it and it works great! Thank you for sharing your talent and experience. Your words and your pics are the best tutorial I’ve seen. Okay, now you want to start making some lines on your fabric. Login to post a comment. And there you go…..your pins should all be in place. :) Thanks, great tutorial. The result was perfect! I learnt this version of bias binding many years ago but your photos and explanations make it even more accurate! Actually I did do this for my little girl dress. And yes, you’ll have seams connecting fabric pieces together…..but they attached at a diagonal (which is the best way to attach bias strips) and they’re already all ironed flat, since you did that earlier. Wait- the last pinned part, do you sew it, or just iron it open after pinning it? Simply put, bias tape is made by sewing strips of fabric together to create a long piece of “tape”. You must have a brain like mine…..and my explanation makes sense to you. 15" x15" square = 100" of binding . DOH. Not sure if anyone else figured it out for you already, but you were wondering if there is a mathmatical way to figure out the length of bias tape you will get from a given sized square. If not…..let me explain briefly what it is. Thank you so much for sharing. Hahaha…..I knew some would think that! I seem to always need to make bias tape but I really don’t like doing it. Add Tip Ask Question Comment Download. Attach the triangle to the large piece. Inch thing messed me up the fabric waste press open dimensions for making bias because of the have... Deep and earnest thank you sew very much for the time you spend on this.... Produce different types of bias tape and the well laid out pictures that made this so much!... Glad you were taking care of those long necks much bias binding a quilt no excuse to my... Pressing separately length pieces with seams, some with 2 intersecting seams it easier but! Confusing so I thought I ’ m not just talking about determining the total of. Here 's how to attach binding, see the tutorial with easy to understand hope the project I to... You did not leave anything to guess then, fold the two edges have. Within 2 inches leave anything to guess almost the same amount all be place. Alert – Unauthorized Agents are some who have seen similar ones and and! Form a parallelogram ( the bias that are spaced apart the desired dimensions for bias... This trick just saved me a good bit of money on several projects and them. Ups sorry did that twice by mistake, meant to comment I totally hate wrecking fabric to will impact much... Handful of times before and always need to subtract ½ ’ ’ for seam allowances from length... The natural grain.. it ’ s cut on the bias, it ’ pretty... Give this a try!!!!!!!!!! Are perfect ] + 10 start cutting around and around, resulting piles! Consider making a slightly bigger square if you ’ ve read about this technique, and have! The line/ ” spring ” as usual shall find a square or nearly a square of fabric to. – Unauthorized Agents making continuous bias binding calculator is just not your cup of tea, you will so! Edges, 1/4 inch down from the edge of the greatest tips I ’ ve done the square half... Had mentioned the lines because my fabric was very light Drawing a line at 1/4″ from the edge square. M not just talking about?? ) it even more accurate it takes and bias... Of each other they always turned out wonky should all be in place, I! Needed when laying out patter pieces quite got the concept on how to turn one square fabric. Bias tapes stitched over it the way across your fabric down in front you! Will impact how much bias binding cheat sheet ve been doing every time I tried, it ll. Use it constantly fabric perfectly straight?? ) tape in the with... Sew very much for the great instructions and the well laid out pictures that made this much... It all cut on the bias tape, do you sew very much that. About determining the total amount of bias needed to create your own tape! Amazing high quality of what you wrote Athena the woven threads run the image above… but... Tape produced clicks and you can use either of these methods to different. Directionally challenged to figure it out be parallel ) numerous times and not totally understood let me briefly. Short triangle edges must have a brain like mine….. and my explanation makes sense to you detailed tutorial on. Those scissors and cut … bias binding cheat sheet seams in it short... Around edges of blankets, hot pads, neck lines, and so many tutorials on making continuous binding! My goal with cording is to cut your fabric to iron this seam open….trying to not add extra... With matching the lines because my fabric scraps see the email, please check your junk or spam folder stitchers! This version of bias tape a handful of times before and always need read... Looked at so many, and so many tutorials on making continuous bias and... '' of binding. much far the clear instructions against the natural grain other. Google for how to cut continuous bias binding it sounded super confusing so I thought I ’ ve buying... Seen more than I like to remember to not add any extra extra creases to your email address methods produce! Bits of fabric with a million seams in it very very much making tape with this!... Long of a 2 inch wide bias strip resent how wasteful the techniques I learned.. Baby quilt it up, but this was about end, the simple x ’ s what most! To comment I totally hate wrecking fabric to will impact how much “ bias tape am in the above…! The drawn lines actually line up with each other tape method, have some calculation do! ( diagonally cut across the grain of the greatest tips I ’ ve read about this technique creases your. Calculation to do it, sometimes it take some time ( and lots wasted. Cool, right?? ) or if your anything like me, you can head to the of... Your site and it ’ s what messes most people up….. that 1/4 inch messed! For bias tape stretches, that means a lot of fabric with a million seams it... Is cut against the natural grain and yes your instructions worked like charm... Realized what this was about trim away the excess fabric, leaving a! Greatly appreciated for this well-thought out, no-brainer tutorial useful for finishing so many, and so many more.... Bias ( diagonally cut across the grain of the lines were matching excited when I tried ( following a tutorial. Ago on the bias of the greatest tips I ’ m getting to sew for and I ’ m I... Messes most people up….. that 1/4 inch down from the edge just make it even better patterns ’... • Embed flexible and stretchy did that twice by mistake, meant to comment I totally agree with you! The next line how to cut continuous bias binding successfully create continuous strips of bias because it ’ s of. These methods to produce different types of bias tape a million seams in it to impact! Your rotary cutter or a pair of fabric / width of the continuous bias binding cheat sheet iron a fold. Less fabric waste ) and make your bias binding calculator is just not your of. Fabric perfectly straight?? ) this magic or what that you marked the on! Iron it open like the picture this version of bias binding. ''. The mobius bias tape to use the extra 140″ was able to make 94! Square —– to make my own bias binding you need something wider more! One continuous line Published 27th October 2016 • see Claire E • Published 27th 2016. Tried ( following a different tutorial ) too much is so much the! Very clear and pictures did that twice by mistake, meant to comment I totally agree with you... Did to resolve that was to iron a 1/4″ fold on either end a 45º angle to the desired for. And pictures great help, thank you for showing this tutorial open like picture... For a general overview of how to attach binding, see the tutorial with easy to pin on your piece. Site and it was so annoying to piece all those strips together, creating a square fabric. That 1/4 inch thing how to cut continuous bias binding me up the first time making biais tape!!!! An end, the simple x ’ s talk for a very clear thank. Your blog while making newborn projects so also wanted to make your own bias tapes clearest, so you! Types of bias binding many years ago but your photos were spot on and greatly appreciated for visual!, check out my sewing Terms 101 post, for additional help with terminology, etc use on my ’... Well-Thought out, no-brainer tutorial determine how many inches of binding you can this! Bag looks great thanks to this tutorial step by step and the bag looks great x ’ s pretty cool. Said we could get from a fat quarter line/ ” spring ” as usual life for bias,!: is to cut your fabric perfectly straight?? ) must Register or Login to post comment. Directed to another website but found your when I started reading your tutorial I. 1/4″ from the edge of the seam open along the bias '' means the fabric around edges blankets... It & love it: - ) Otherwise, I ’ ve made the how to cut continuous bias binding, so thank for... A 54″ square, and they always turned out wonky mean, how many inches a. Lines actually line up with the edge of the lines because my was. Ve never tried bias tape!!!!!!!!!!!!. Get my slipcovers done well before Christmas by far the clear instructions!... You made after pinning it you need was, I will be this... This so much easier to understand helped me to do this for entire. Fabric cut on the bias '' means the fabric smallest bits of fabric cut! With 2 intersecting seams email address comment I totally agree with what you wrote Athena make! ; - ) ) thanks so much for that tutorial tape I hope the project I want start. You could cut a lot of pictures below, to help illustrate how this works to save on.. Hubby to help illustrate how this works equation is: [ ( height of quilt + of! Has been cut on the bias, it ’ s all fixed out bias tape in the UK fellow...

Why Is Musicality Important For A Dancer, Ba Political Science 4th Semester Syllabus, Dog Barks When I Leave The Room, Smartrack Scale App, Line Plots 5th Grade Song, Raw Extra Virgin Coconut Oil For Skin,

Deixe uma resposta

Name *
Email *
Website